Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Hawaiian Style Cafe

After a few too many 5 star breakfasts it was time to visit
the famous and very popular "Hawaiian Style Cafe."
I'm pretty sure every tourist that asks a local where
the best breakfast is served is told to eat here.
So on one of those "precious and idyllic" Big Island mornings
we hopped in our rental car and headed
Northeast on highway 19 to Waimea.
OK, I'll admit I was feeling a little car sick
because I hadn't eaten breakfast,
so of course I couldn't wait to take in the local flavor....
If you know me you know I truly enjoy
searching out and eating
at local dives as much as any well-traveled tourist.
I knew we were headed for a cafe that is one of those rare finds
and the size of the meals were going to be huge,
no exaggeration!
Just the way we Americans like things, right?


OK, but what about ambiance and presentation....
forget about it!
The Big Island Revealed Book
(the bible for the Hawaiian traveler) says...
"Looks like a dive on the outside,
then again looks like a dive on the inside" they also say...
"Probably the best deal on the island
when it comes to quantity and heartiness"
As you can see they are correct!


My husband's meal arrived first and it was perfect,
just the way my big guy likes it!
His massive omelet was oozing with sausage, bacon, ham
and who knows what else.
It was served with crispy hash browns and a
mammoth stack of pancakes.
Me, I had to wait a while longer ......
Finally it arrives. My plate was heaping with a mound of
extra crispy bacon and a massive amount of hash browns
but this means nothing to me
because I can't eat my over easy eggs with out my toast!
I just wanted my toast....

Yes, I admit I am a bit of a foodie so...
"That's all I'm going to say about that" !!!


All in all if you are ever in Waimea
and really want to experience local flavor,
The Hawaiian Style Cafe is for you.
Stop in, sit down and talkstory with the locals.
But come hungry!


"Please let me know if you have been here or are planning on it in the future,
 I would love to read your thoughts and comments!"
 Mahalo,
 Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment